Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Here's a tune I've posted elsewhere, Makem and Clancy's rousing rendition of "The Rocky Road to Dublin":

(I posted the High Kings' excellent version last year.)

For the day, Digby posts a U2 classic.

Meanwhile, Anne Laurie at Balloon Juice has posted an open thread (and there are some other posts for occasion).

My archives: 2013 (A children's version of the Táin Bó Cúailnge, plus the aforementioned tune), 2012 ("History of Ireland in 100 Excuses"), 2010 ("Four Green Fields" and "The Patriot Game," which I think pair well, and I've used a couple of times), 2009 ("Ar Eirinn Ni Neosainn Ce Hi," one of the prettiest songs I know) and 2007 ("The Wind That Shakes the Barley").

Finally, this has been making the rounds:

(Never let it be said that the Irish don't have a sense of humor about themselves.)

Feel free to link any favorite Irish songs, poems or what-not in the comments.

No comments: